Scholarships Bolster NCEA Successes
Exceptional 2016 NCEA results strengthened with the announcement of 34 scholarships awarded 25 students across 17 subject areas.
Scholarships include three ‘Outstanding Performance’ scholarships, to Amy Huang (Media Studies), Winnie Zhang (Statistics) and Isabella Gregory (English, in Year 12).
Assistant Principal-Curriculum at Rangi Ruru, Juliet Collins, says this outstanding result is wonderful news on the back of the school’s NCEA results for 2016 which show a significant increase in the number of students achieving excellence in all NCEA levels, making Rangi Ruru a standout in decile 8-10 schools across New Zealand.
“The increase in the number of girls moving from merit to excellence in their NCEA exams has now been strengthened by the scholarship results,” she says.
“There are several reasons for this,” she says. “One is that we approach student achievement as an achievement for us all; it’s a team effort amongst a very collegial staff. Rangi Ruru has a culture of expectation and support. We also work exceptionally hard ensuring we personalise our teaching to each student, tailor it to what each girl needs.”
Across all three levels of NCEA in 2016, excellence endorsements by comparison to national decile 8-10 levels show Rangi Ruru students achieving at more than twice the national result.
Juliet Collins also cites ongoing professional learning for teaching staff as being crucial in the school’s academic results.
“Identifying the educational outcomes our students need, informs the professional learning and development our teachers also need to achieve that,” Juliet Collins says. “The skills and knowledge that young people need are changing all the time which is not surprising when you consider that the jobs many of these girls will have at the end of their education don’t even exist yet. It is up to us as educators to be abreast of those changes.”
Full list of scholarship results
- Accounting – Georgia Hawley, Nicole Smith Winnie Zhang
- Art History – Abigail O’Regan
- Biology – Sophie Lee, Lucy Na
- Calculus – Isabella Gregory (Year 12), Marisol Hunter (Year 12)
- Chemistry – Winnie Zhang
- Chinese – Claire Liu (Year 11)
- Classical Studies – Lucy Na
- Drama – Amy Huang, Anna Bruce (Year 12), Francesca Logan
- English – Harmony Zhou, Abigail Barber, Mollie Carruthers, Kimberley Gee, Kirstin Liddell, Maisie Natrrass, Isabella Gregory (Outstanding, Year 12)
- Geography – Harmony Zhou
- History – Lucy Glass
- Media Studies – Amy Huang (Outstanding)
- Music – Karen Hu, Grace McKenzie (Year 12)
- Painting – Emily Blunt
- Photography – Francesca Logan
- Printmaking – Shir Carmichael, Harmony Zhou
- Statistics – Molly Hygate, Nicole Smith, Chanel Sullivan, Winnie Zhang (Outstanding)
16 February 2017